Tuesday 8 January 2013

Mum's trifle


I know I'm biased but my mum's trifle is the best, just typing this is making me salivate!!!  The ingredients below are for a raspberry trifle but if you prefer strawberry just substitute all the relevant ingredients with strawberry ones instead :)

Ingredients
8 trifle sponges
8 tsp raspberry jam
300g can of raspberries
2 raspberry jellies
1 pint of custard
20 fl oz double cream

optional - evaporated milk
optional - chocolate shavings/sprinkles


Cut the trifle sponges in half and spread jam on both sides, then put back together again like a sandwich and put in the bottom of your trifle bowl.  



Pour all of the raspberries and juice over the sponges, making sure that you get all the trifle sponges wet, then let it just sit for half an hour or so to soak it all up.

While I wait for the sponges to get super soggy, I make up the custard.  I have two ways of making custard, quick and easy - is to use instant custard packets and just add the boiling water....or not so quick and easy is to use Bird's custard powder following the instructions on the tin, but to do 3 parts milk and 1 part evaporated milk to make a really creamy (don't think about the calories) custard.  I've listed the ingredients for this custard below, just in case my jabbering didn't make sense.


Creamy Custard
2 heaped tbsp custard powder
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 pt milk
1/4 pt evaporated milk



Just make the custard as you would normally but substitute some of the milk with the evaporated milk instead, then cover the top of the custard with cling film while it's still hot to stop a skin from forming.

Now back to the trifle base...I now this probably seems like alot of hassle but it's soooo worth it and once you've made it once it's really quite easy.  So here goes with the rest of it...


Make the jellies slightly stronger by not adding so much water, this helps to compensate for the juice from the raspberries....so instead of making it to 2 pints/1.1 litres of jelly, make 900ml of jelly and pour it straight away onto the trifle sponges.


Mix well, mashing up the sponges as you go.  It should hopefully look something like the picture above??  Then cover it with cling film and put it in the fridge to set.....I generally make my custard and base the night before or the morning of, so I have no idea how long it takes to set but I'm guessing about 4-5hrs??!?!

Put custard on top of set trifle base, then whip up the double cream till stiff and spoon it on top.  Sprinkle with chocolate shavings or sprinkles, now sit back and enjoy, yummmm!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment