Monday 20 August 2012

Choose The Right FHE

Tonight we did a bit of a reminder of the Primary theme for the children...and us, which is 'Choose the Right'.  This was one of my quick, it's FHE night what can we do!! 

So I taped several pieces of card together and drew a 'strait and narrow' path down the middle and glued the picture of the Saviour at the top.  I also cut out some little green strips of card that fit in the path (you'll see these later).


We started our FHE by singing Choose the Right #239, then after the prayer we talked about ways we could stay on the strait and narrow path so we could get back to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus.  One by one a member of the family wrote down on the card (pictured above) our answers and explained why we had chosen it...they wanted to keep writing down answers but we'd never finish the lesson if they did!!

We then turned to the scriptures and read the following verses from 1 Nephi chapter 8 -


 19 And I beheld a arod of iron, and it extended along the bank of the river, and led to the tree by which I stood.
 20 And I also beheld a astrait and narrow path, which came along by the rod of iron, even to the tree by which I stood;

We talked about the story of the tree of life and how people had to hold on tight to the rod of iron so that they wouldn't stray from the path.  Then we turned to 1 Nephi 15: 23-24 to find out what the rod of iron represented -


23 And they said unto me: What meaneth the arod of iron which our father saw, that led to the tree?
 24 And I said unto them that it was the aword of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would bhold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the ctemptations and the fiery ddarts of the eadversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.

Next we handed out the little green strips of card as we discussed how we could hold fast to the word of God, and different ways we could hear/read/see/feel the word of God...and shared our thoughts as we wrote down our ideas.


During the week we are going to stick these green strips on our path as we do them, so we've already done our Family Home Evening one :)  So hopefully this week we will all get stuck into our scriptures, the Friend, Ensign etc. and work towards drawing closer to the Saviour through the word of God.


Refreshments was a biscuit with icing on that we all decorated with sweets to make happy smiley faces on....because when we choose the right we feel happy :)  Especially with all this sugar on just one biscuit!! ;)


I really like the FHE lessons where we have a reminder of what we've learnt during the week, I know it helps me to stay on track and I hope and feel that it helps my family feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment